This article is authored By Sudeep Nambiar and Swarup Nambiar, Final year BCA - students
It is the use of software with artificial intelligence and machine learning capabilities to handle high volume repetitive tasks that previously required humans to perform. Some of these tasks include addressing queries, making calculations, maintenance of records and performing transactions.
There are several misconceptions about RPA
- RPA does not have physical form and no resemblance to humans
- RPA cannot replace humans or replicate human cognitive function
- It does not have a brain of its own
- Cannot perform logical or critical thinking as humans do
The working of RPA includes 4 crucial faces
This involves gathering of processes to be automated and defining test objects and finalizing the implementation approach.
This includes creation of automation workflows.
Development and Testing phase
It is the vital phase since it uncovers any unexpected errors and ensures bug free products.
Support and Maintenance phase
It ensures that the product is continuously updated with smooth deployment across the user base.
There are several tools used inured to meet the objectives of RPA. Some of the popular RPA tools in market are;
- Ui Path
- Automation Anywhere
- Blue Prism
These RPA tools are software applications that can configure tasks and automate them.
Advantages of RPA
- When it comes to quality RPA ensures consistent error free output leading to reduce of operational risks. This improves customer satisfaction.
- In the area of delivery RPA can help decrease the average handling time and this enhance the customer experience and ensures 24*7 business continuity.
- With respect to cost, according to NASSCOM domestic business can reduce the cost by upto 65% through RPA.
- Reduce training cost.
- Minimal utilization of IT resources and easier software migration
Domains and Industries that use RPA
- Banking and Finances
- IT integration process
- Human resources
- Insurance Agencies
- Marketing and Sales
- Customer relationship management